POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Units of Measure : Re: Units of Measure Server Time
4 Aug 2024 00:27:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Units of Measure
From: ABX
Date: 26 Aug 2003 11:17:37
Message: <d1umkv8cb5ictbfnknmuumcl0mnoks54hk@4ax.com>
On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 15:56:04 +0100, "Alan Smith" <ala### [at] aurora-ukcom>
wrote:
> By encourage its use I mean that if it is a formally accepted concept within POV
> then people are more likely to know its there and more likely to use it - especially
> when they see the benefits of re-using other peoples objects without any re-scaling
> required.

But on the other hand for many works you do not need units at all so they are
unnecessary typing. Do you need units to draw graph? POV-Ray is known to be a
tool in scientific works to visualize processess. Some sciences operates on on
units, some not. And soon you incorporate units into language you will receive
complaining why other units are not supported. It is easier to change
units.inc than povray.exe

> I did not know of the existence of Sonya Roberts "Units" include file
> until you pointed it out - what if someone else out there defined another "Units"
file
> which other people used - the definition of mm,cm,m,ft & in might be totally
different -
> standardisation has not been achieved nor generally portability of objects.
> If I copy an object from someone's scene using an alternative definition of the
units
> then it will not just drop in to mine and work - yes I know I could scale it but
that's
> not the point.

There is no difference between various units.inc - as long as they use the
same letters for naming units and they preserve the same relations they are
compatible regardless base unit.

ABX