POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Chris Colefax's Mesh compressor Server Time
4 Aug 2024 04:13:04 EDT (-0400)
  Chris Colefax's Mesh compressor (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Chris Colefax's Mesh compressor
Date: 17 Aug 2003 05:18:48
Message: <3f3f4878$1@news.povray.org>
I wanted to use Chris Colefax's pcm.mcr and hairex.mcr with POV 3.5, but
this generates the following parse error: 'Illegal escape sequence in
string' while trying to open the pcm-file (example: object {read_mesh
("C:\VirtualReality\Data files\PCM files\FlatSphere.pcm")    ).
It works fine with the versions 3.1 and Megapov till 0.7. Nor however
(obviously) with Megapov 1.0.

So I suppose the macros need updating. But perhaps there is another way
round?

Thanks indeed for any solution!!

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

> parse error: 'Illegal escape sequence in string'
> ("C:\VirtualReality\Data files\PCM files\FlatSphere.pcm")

I don't know the meshcompressor macros, but have you tried double-slashes? I
think it needs to be "C:\\VirtualReality\\Data files ...etc".

Have you checked that the macros switch to  #version 3.1 ?  (should be
written at the top of the files)

Regards,
Hugo

Post a reply to this message

"Hugo Asm" <hua### [at] post3teledk> schreef in bericht
> > parse error: 'Illegal escape sequence in string'
> > ("C:\VirtualReality\Data files\PCM files\FlatSphere.pcm")
>
> I don't know the meshcompressor macros, but have you tried double-slashes?
> think it needs to be "C:\\VirtualReality\\Data files ...etc".
==> ?? in a directory structure?? I can try but I don't think that's the
problem...

> Have you checked that the macros switch to  #version 3.1 ?  (should be
> written at the top of the files)
==> Well yes, I did, but something went wrong anyway... I'll try again.

By the way, Chris Colefax's site has not been updated for a few years, but
he has neat includes and macros. Go to:
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/1434/

Thanks for your answer!!

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Hugo Asm
Date: 17 Aug 2003 10:11:50
Message: <3f3f8d26$1@news.povray.org>
> > have you tried double-slashes?
> > I think it needs to be "C:\\VirtualReality\\Data files ...etc".

> ==> ?? in a directory structure?? I can try but I don't think
> that's the problem...

In POV-Ray it can be a problem because the single slash means something else
in a string, and you are passing a string into the macro read_mesh().

Regards,
Hugo

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 18 Aug 2003 09:18:12
Message: <3f40d214@news.povray.org>
I found the problem!
In a distant past, I defined the path to pcm files in the povray.ini file.
Giving the complete path in the script didn't generate problems then with
version 3.1 or MegaPOV up to version 0.7. However, this generates an error
now in version 3.5 and MegaPOV 1.0.
So, i can make my life simpler (by remembering what I did in the past)!!

Thanks anyway, and best regards!!

thomas

> > > have you tried double-slashes?
> > > I think it needs to be "C:\\VirtualReality\\Data files ...etc".
>
> > ==> ?? in a directory structure?? I can try but I don't think
> > that's the problem...
>
> In POV-Ray it can be a problem because the single slash means something
else
> in a string, and you are passing a string into the macro read_mesh().
>
> Regards,
> Hugo

Post a reply to this message

From: Doug Eichenberg
Date: 19 Aug 2003 19:16:48
Message: <3f42afe0$1@news.povray.org>
Should work fine under pov 3.5, I have used it a lot myself.

--
Doug Eichenberg
www.getinfo.net/douge