POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Offloading some calculations to a GPU Server Time
4 Aug 2024 14:28:32 EDT (-0400)
  Offloading some calculations to a GPU (Message 1 to 10 of 19)
From: Michael Goldshteyn
Subject: Offloading some calculations to a GPU
Date: 11 Jun 2003 11:30:01
Message: <3ee74af9$2@news.povray.org>
Most modern PCs have a very powerful 3d video card with a GPU that is
hundreds if not thousands of times faster than the CPU for certain
calculations. I was thinking if some of the POV computations could be
offloaded to the GPU, we could speed up renders by a very large factor. The
big question is one of which routines thouse would be and which chunks of
the GPU could be utilized. Certainly matrix operations could be offloaded at
the very least, although I don't know to what extent that would improve
performance. It's just a shame that there is this uber-powerful floating
point processor sitting in most PCs that can't be used to help things move
along. What do others think?

Post a reply to this message

<mgo### [at] n-o-s-p-a-m-earthlinknet> wrote:

> Most modern PCs have a very powerful 3d video card with a GPU that is
> hundreds if not thousands of times faster than the CPU for certain
> calculations. I was thinking if some of the POV computations could be
> offloaded to the GPU, we could speed up renders by a very large factor. The
> big question is one of which routines thouse would be and which chunks of
> the GPU could be utilized. Certainly matrix operations could be offloaded at
> the very least, although I don't know to what extent that would improve
> performance. It's just a shame that there is this uber-powerful floating
> point processor sitting in most PCs that can't be used to help things move
> along. What do others think?

You need double precision floating-point processing.  Sorry!

    Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

> <mgo### [at] n-o-s-p-a-m-earthlinknet> wrote:
>
> > Most modern PCs have a very powerful 3d video card with a GPU that is
> > hundreds if not thousands of times faster than the CPU for certain
> > calculations. I was thinking if some of the POV computations could be
> > offloaded to the GPU, we could speed up renders by a very large factor.
The
> > big question is one of which routines thouse would be and which chunks
of
> > the GPU could be utilized. Certainly matrix operations could be
offloaded at
> > the very least, although I don't know to what extent that would improve
> > performance. It's just a shame that there is this uber-powerful floating
> > point processor sitting in most PCs that can't be used to help things
move
> > along. What do others think?
>
> You need double precision floating-point processing.  Sorry!
>
>     Thorsten

Sorry, I accidentally e-mailed my reply, instead of posting it.

In any case, a quote from NVIDIA's web site:

And, powered by the second-generation NVIDIA CineFXT 2.0 engine with the
industry's only true 128-bit precision processing--the GeForce FX 5900 GPUs
take cinematic-quality special effects to new levels while providing the
industry's most compatible and reliable gaming platform.

Now, double-precision uses 64-bit floating point, so I think this is more
than enough.

Post a reply to this message