POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Offloading some calculations to a GPU : Re: Offloading some calculations to a GPU Server Time
4 Aug 2024 08:22:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Offloading some calculations to a GPU
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 11 Jun 2003 12:57:34
Message: <3ee75f7e$1@news.povray.org>
In article <web.3ee74ea3d3e4b3b1465fc1770@news.povray.org> ,
"Włodzimierz ABX Skiba" <abx### [at] abxartpl> wrote:

> I wanted answer almost identicall but I'm completly dumb in that area so did
> quick search in google. It answered there are GPUs with 128-bit
> floating-point precision.

No, you simply fall for a good trap their marketing people have set up.  The
GPUs are SIMD processors and the units work with four single precision
floating-point numbers*.  Hence, for a marketing person it works with 128
bits precision using floating-point numbers <sigh>

    Thorsten

* The smallest document on the Nvidia site that details the marketing math
is <http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/3121/ATT/CineFX-TechBrief_v02.pdf>

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde