POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Offloading some calculations to a GPU : Re: Offloading some calculations to a GPU Server Time
4 Aug 2024 08:23:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Offloading some calculations to a GPU
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 11 Jun 2003 15:37:15
Message: <3ee784eb$1@news.povray.org>
In article <3ee77604$1@news.povray.org> , "Rick [Kitty5]"
<spa### [at] kitty5com> wrote:

>> You need double precision floating-point processing.  Sorry!
>
> But do you *really* need it for everything

You need it for intersection tests.  You cannot store enough data in 32 bits
to perform adequate intersection tests without limiting the geometry.

You seem to misunderstand what precision anything stored in 32 bits can
possibly provide.  From a more conventional perspective, I would suggest to
get a introduction to combinatorics book and read the chapter on the
pigeonhole principle.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde