POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : I need test scenes :) Server Time
4 Aug 2024 16:12:55 EDT (-0400)
  I need test scenes :) (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: George Pantazopoulos
Subject: I need test scenes :)
Date: 27 Apr 2003 11:10:49
Message: <3eabf2f9$1@news.povray.org>
Hello all,
   For the past several months, in my spare time, I've been developing
parallel rendering software for the POV-Ray community. I am bending over
backwards to make it artist friendly. It supports 48-bit PNG output, will
have special handling for radiosity (I have some tricks up my sleeve and
have had encouraging results), and it allows any mix of Windows and/or Unix
machines to be used as render nodes. This all works with vanilla POV-Ray
3.5 - no special version is required.

    Right now the multithreaded Master program runs on Windows and it is
targeted at artists who want to render high quality still shots.While my
program is still in the prototype stage, I've reached the point where I'm
doing distributed renders at home on my two machines, and sometimes also on
a third machine over the internet.

    What I'm humbly asking you for is some high-quality test scenes. There
were several good ones I've found already in p.b.s-f, but can anyone suggest
or submit other production quality scenes? In particular, I'm looking for
realistic-looking radiosity scenes that go far beyond the cornell box,
and/or media scenes. The longer rendering time, the better :)

Thanks, suggestions welcome
George Pantazopoulos

Post a reply to this message

>     What I'm humbly asking you for is some high-quality test scenes. There
> were several good ones I've found already in p.b.s-f, but can anyone suggest
> or submit other production quality scenes? In particular, I'm looking for
> realistic-looking radiosity scenes that go far beyond the cornell box,
> and/or media scenes. The longer rendering time, the better :)

Have you tried benchmark.pov from the distribution?

--
Ken Tyler

Post a reply to this message

    I sure have, but now that you mention it, I'm going to try it again :)

Thanks,
George

> Have you tried benchmark.pov from the distribution?
>
> --
> Ken Tyler

Post a reply to this message

>    For the past several months, in my spare time, I've been developing
> parallel rendering software for the POV-Ray community. I am bending over
> backwards to make it artist friendly. It supports 48-bit PNG output, will
> have special handling for radiosity (I have some tricks up my sleeve and
> have had encouraging results), and it allows any mix of Windows and/or Unix
> machines to be used as render nodes. This all works with vanilla POV-Ray
> 3.5 - no special version is required.
>
>     Right now the multithreaded Master program runs on Windows and it is
> targeted at artists who want to render high quality still shots.While my
> program is still in the prototype stage, I've reached the point where I'm
> doing distributed renders at home on my two machines, and sometimes also on
> a third machine over the internet.

Sounds good.  It would be great if the master program would run on several
platforms of course.  I know this is probably more work but when you
distribute a long render you will want to run the master on a stable
machine that can run permanently - and this is often not a windows
machine...

>     What I'm humbly asking you for is some high-quality test scenes. There
> were several good ones I've found already in p.b.s-f, but can anyone suggest
> or submit other production quality scenes? In particular, I'm looking for
> realistic-looking radiosity scenes that go far beyond the cornell box,
> and/or media scenes. The longer rendering time, the better :)

You should try the benchmark and balcony scenes in the 'advanced'
directory.  The 'advanced/blocks/stackerday.pov' scene might also be good
for testing handling of radiosity although it does not use pretrace which
is somewhat atypical for radiosity scenes.

It would particularly be important to take care that it works correctly
for large size renders.

Christoph

> What I'm humbly asking you for is some high-quality test scenes. There
> were several good ones I've found already in p.b.s-f, but can anyone
suggest
> or submit other production quality scenes? In particular, I'm looking for
> realistic-looking radiosity scenes that go far beyond the cornell box,
> and/or media scenes.

Have you tried the zips sent to the IRTC?.
I suppose you have a lot of scenes there

> The longer rendering time, the better :)

I think the winner image from the Loneliness
round (made by Gena) could satisfy your needs ;-).

Bye

Txemi Jendrix
http://www.txemijendrix.com

Post a reply to this message