POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : I need test scenes :) : Re: I need test scenes :) Server Time
4 Aug 2024 14:22:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I need test scenes :)
From: George Pantazopoulos
Date: 28 Apr 2003 17:33:07
Message: <3ead9e13$1@news.povray.org>

> Sounds good.  It would be great if the master program would run on several
> platforms of course.  I know this is probably more work but when you
> distribute a long render you will want to run the master on a stable
> machine that can run permanently - and this is often not a windows
> machine...

I agree :) I would like to have it run on other platforms. Much of my
program is generically coded in C++, and should be portable. However, the
major stumbling block to portability is with regard to threading and
processes. Win32 has no native implementation of pthreads. However, I
recently found this library. http://sources.redhat.com/pthreads-win32/ Have
you heard anything good about it?
Also, I'm not sure what a platform independant way to start external
programs as processes would be. _execve() ?

> You should try the benchmark and balcony scenes in the 'advanced'
> directory.  The 'advanced/blocks/stackerday.pov' scene might also be good
> for testing handling of radiosity although it does not use pretrace which
> is somewhat atypical for radiosity scenes.
>
> It would particularly be important to take care that it works correctly
> for large size renders.

What are your opinions on how a program should correctly handle large size
renders, Christoph (and others)?

Thanks,
George