POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Amapi is free Server Time
4 Aug 2024 20:16:07 EDT (-0400)
  Amapi is free (Message 21 to 30 of 55)
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Subject: Re: Amapi is free
Date: 18 Apr 2003 14:42:19
Message: <3ea0470b$1@news.povray.org>
In article <3ea03fdb@news.povray.org> , Andreas Kreisig <and### [at] gmxde>
wrote:

> BTW: to work
> with primitives (CSG) is somewhat outdated.

No, here you are wrong.  It simply happens that CSG is harder to do if you
don't use plain ray-tracing.  And the default renderers shipped with any
commercial package today do not use plain ray-tracing, but various hybrid
scanline/ray-tracing methods.  And those methods cannot easily do CSG, but
they need to precompute what they call CSG in the modeler interfaces...

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg

I am a member of the POV-Ray Team.