POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Huh? Normal averaging bug? Server Time
4 Aug 2024 16:10:54 EDT (-0400)
  Huh? Normal averaging bug? (Message 1 to 10 of 37)
From: Xplo Eristotle
Subject: Huh? Normal averaging bug?
Date: 28 Feb 2003 13:27:14
Message: <3e5faa02@news.povray.org>
I was playing around with layered textures today, and on a whim, I
decided to see what would happen if I averaged two opposed normals together.

sphere
	{
	<2, 1, 0> 1
	normal
		{
		average
		normal_map
			{
			[ granite 1 scale 1 ]
			[ granite -1 scale 1 ]
			}
		}
	}

I assumed that they would completely cancel out.. but instead, they
produced a weird, not exactly granite-like normal that's quite noticible.

Why is this?

Incidentally, the same problem exists if you average the normals as
textures (in a texture map), although the resulting normal looks
somewhat different.

-Xplo

Post a reply to this message