POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The future of POVing Server Time
5 Aug 2024 10:18:30 EDT (-0400)
  The future of POVing (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: TinCanMan
Subject: The future of POVing
Date: 15 Oct 2002 19:05:33
Message: <3dac9f3d$1@news.povray.org>
I was wondering if it  will ever be (or is it already) to create add-ons for
POV where those users working so hard on patches new features etc. would be
able to just release an add-on or plug-in that POV would load and run rather
than having to modify the existing code and recompile and release the whole
program.  Or do I just not understand the way the program is set-up?  (I
would suspect the latter, but hope the former)

-tgq

Post a reply to this message

That would be great, but it is not possible to do in a cross-platform way.
And cross-platform compatibility is one of the fundamental values (so to
speak) of POV.

-Nathan

"TinCanMan" <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote...
> I was wondering if it  will ever be (or is it already) to create add-ons
for
> POV where those users working so hard on patches new features etc. would
be
> able to just release an add-on or plug-in that POV would load and run
rather
> than having to modify the existing code and recompile and release the
whole
> program.  Or do I just not understand the way the program is set-up?  (I
> would suspect the latter, but hope the former)
>
> -tgq

Post a reply to this message

> That would be great, but it is not possible to do in a cross-platform way.
> And cross-platform compatibility is one of the fundamental values (so to
> speak) of POV.

That's too bad I guess.  I have been watching some of the recent fixes and
patches and was hoping that someday there would be a simple way to use these
without having to install full patched versions (or wait for the next issue
of MegaPOV ;) )

-tgq

Post a reply to this message

 "TinCanMan" <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> I was wondering if it  will ever be (or is it already) to create add-ons for
> POV where those users working so hard on patches new features etc. would be
> able to just release an add-on or plug-in that POV would load and run rather
> than having to modify the existing code and recompile and release the whole
> program.  Or do I just not understand the way the program is set-up?  (I
> would suspect the latter, but hope the former)

Not really. Different processors need different machine code, and
different systems have their own way of loading things like this, so the
plugins would have to be compiled for each system and POV would have to
be modified to load them for each system. It is pretty much impossible
without having to change major parts of the code...though 4.0 might make
this easier, it probably still won't ever be an official feature.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message