POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The future of POVing : Re: The future of POVing Server Time
5 Aug 2024 08:24:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The future of POVing
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 15 Oct 2002 23:45:18
Message: <chrishuff-D4D035.23402715102002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3dac9f3d$1@news.povray.org>,
 "TinCanMan" <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> I was wondering if it  will ever be (or is it already) to create add-ons for
> POV where those users working so hard on patches new features etc. would be
> able to just release an add-on or plug-in that POV would load and run rather
> than having to modify the existing code and recompile and release the whole
> program.  Or do I just not understand the way the program is set-up?  (I
> would suspect the latter, but hope the former)

Not really. Different processors need different machine code, and
different systems have their own way of loading things like this, so the
plugins would have to be compiled for each system and POV would have to
be modified to load them for each system. It is pretty much impossible
without having to change major parts of the code...though 4.0 might make
this easier, it probably still won't ever be an official feature.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/