POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: povQ&T (aka. povVFAQ) new look Server Time
6 Aug 2024 10:22:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povQ&T (aka. povVFAQ) new look (Message 81 to 90 of 178)
From: Xplo Eristotle
Subject: Re: povQ&T (aka. povVFAQ) new look
Date: 2 Sep 2002 02:24:06
Message: <3d730406@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:

>>  Firstly, if you don't want to upgrade your browser to a newer version,
>>that's your problem, not mine. If you want to use an old browser, then
>>fine, use it, but don't complain to me because it's not my problem.
>
> Remind me to vote for  only providing Pentium 4 and PowerPC G4 versions of
> POV-Ray next time.  After all, if you are using old and broken processors
> that lack some important instructions you don't deserve to use POV-Ray!
>
> Does this mirror help your attitude?

It's a poor analogy, for two reasons.

First, computer hardware is fairly expensive to upgrade. You would be
asking me to spend hundreds of dollars to run what's supposed to be
"free" software. In comparison, a browser is much cheaper to upgrade
(free with a flat-rate net connection, and certainly less expensive than
a hardware upgrade if you're some unfortunate person who still pays by
the minute).

Second, there's really no reason why there shouldn't be versions of
POV-Ray for earlier hardware, as that hardware supports POV-Ray. There's
no feature in POV-Ray which requires a G4 or P4. Browsers are not the
same, as older ones don't support features present in the current
version of the web, and therefore there's a legitimate reason to upgrade
them to use the web.

I'd like to note one other thing in passing: that this whole argument
seems to be centered around the need for web interoperability, but the
entire point of having web standards (or "recommendations" if you must)
is to provide for that. However, they can't do so if people persist in
using browsers that don't comply with the standards.. so by refusing to
upgrade and forcing web authors to cater to you or else, you are
actually HURTING the cause you claim to support.

-Xplo

Post a reply to this message

> is to provide for that. However, they can't do so if people persist in
> using browsers that don't comply with the standards.. so by refusing to
> upgrade and forcing web authors to cater to you or else, you are
> actually HURTING the cause you claim to support.

I do not support the W3C.  I do not support industry self-interest groups.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde