POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: povQ&T (aka. povVFAQ) new look : Re: povQ&T (aka. povVFAQ) new look Server Time
6 Aug 2024 12:20:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povQ&T (aka. povVFAQ) new look
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 2 Sep 2002 14:23:12
Message: <3d73ac90@news.povray.org>
In article <3d73588a@news.povray.org> , Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>  wrote:

>   Besides, in many modern browsers you can turn a default page style (ie no
> styles at all). For example if you are using Mozilla, try
> View -> Use Style -> Basic Page Style

IE on Mac has had this feature for a very long time now, btw.

>   That will turn off the CSS providen by the page.

Oh yes, to end up with all those sites designed by idiots assuming the
layout they try to force upon me looks exactly like on _their_ browser
everywhere.  Usually the site breaks badly if it does not.  So these options
are absolutely useless.

>   IMHO the Q&T pages are a lot nicer to read with their current style than
> with the default styles.

Well, if your browser ships with a bad default stylesheet that is a problem
of your browser developer...

>   And anyways, the correct claim would be "nobody supports those
> recommendations *now*". Support for those will certainly be implemented
> in browsers in the near future.

Oh sure.  In 20 years it will work then...

Besides, did you notice that Mozialla has to be loaded at startup to appear
it loads quickly?  In reality it is a slow fat memory hog.

On the other hand, plain HTML renders on a 486 without problems (only
decompressing the images will be a bit slower), and browsers won't need half
a gigabyte of memory to run either!

>   How can you have a solution without features?

By making it a native _function_ of the proggram, not something patched on
like a feature ;-)

>   Sorry, but I still fail to see what is so bad and useless about CSS.

They allow designers to destroy web pages with tons of bandwidth wasting
clutter.  Try the current www.sun.com for example.  It is much better than
the old one and works perfectly without stylesheets.  The only thing that
looks not so nice is the graphics some stupid designer added assuming
stylesheets are available everywhere.  So it is very possible to design a
page that looks good without stylesheets, one just has to remove access to
it from stupid designers who have no clue about information presentation.

And did you notice how quickly the new Sun site loads compared to the old
one?

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde