POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: povQ&T (aka. povVFAQ) new look : Re: povQ&T (aka. povVFAQ) new look Server Time
6 Aug 2024 12:24:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povQ&T (aka. povVFAQ) new look
From: Warp
Date: 2 Sep 2002 08:24:42
Message: <3d73588a@news.povray.org>
> I am against the layout being provided by the site.  I want full control
> over the layout like I had in HTML originally.  No visual clutter, just
> plain information (be it text or pictures) quick and easy to access.  Just
> like in paper books rather than commercial advertisements leaflets.

  Eh, I don't think you have too much control about the layout of a book...

  Besides, in many modern browsers you can turn a default page style (ie no
styles at all). For example if you are using Mozilla, try
View -> Use Style -> Basic Page Style
  That will turn off the CSS providen by the page.

> In essence, what does the added layout provide me with that I don't already
> have? -- Nothing but problems that I then have to waste my time solving!

  IMHO the Q&T pages are a lot nicer to read with their current style than
with the default styles. For example it's a lot easier to see where there are
SDL code segments, and in the text it's easier to see what is a keyword and
what is regular text.

> On the other hand, has the added layout feature solved any of the
> shortcoming of the original HTML like the inability to display formulas
> well? -- No, and it still does not.  And why?  Because nobody supports those
> "recommendations".

  Mozilla supports MathML quite well, so you can't say "nobody".

  And anyways, the correct claim would be "nobody supports those
recommendations *now*". Support for those will certainly be implemented
in browsers in the near future.

> The problem is that rather than focusing on _solutions_, the W3C focuses on
> _features_.

  How can you have a solution without features?

  "Ok, this is a solution to this problem." "How is it used?" "There's no
way of using it because there exists no feature to use it." "Oh..."

  Sorry, but I still fail to see what is so bad and useless about CSS.