POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Smooth triangles? Server Time
5 Aug 2024 18:22:22 EDT (-0400)
  Smooth triangles? (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: James Taylor
Subject: Smooth triangles?
Date: 25 Aug 2002 14:21:45
Message: <3d692039@news.povray.org>
Hi

A few days ago I posted a thread about making a spiral, and decided to make
a to write a smooth_triangle mesh. The problem is it ain't smooth. As I
understand it, the normal vectors are just directional and their magnitude
doesn't matter (is this assumption correct?) so <0,1,0> has the same value
in terms of normals as <0,10,0>?

thanks
jim

Post a reply to this message

 "James Taylor" <jim### [at] blueyondercouk> wrote:

> A few days ago I posted a thread about making a spiral, and decided to make
> a to write a smooth_triangle mesh. The problem is it ain't smooth. As I
> understand it, the normal vectors are just directional and their magnitude
> doesn't matter (is this assumption correct?) so <0,1,0> has the same value
> in terms of normals as <0,10,0>?

I'm not sure, it is possible the magnitude affects the weighting of the
normals when they are interpolated across the triangle. Try normalizing
the normal vectors you specify.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message

> I'm not sure, it is possible the magnitude affects the weighting of the
> normals when they are interpolated across the triangle. Try normalizing
> the normal vectors you specify.

I don't know about the weighting, but the surface-vectors should
be one-unit in size. POV doesn't normalize them internally, and in
my experience, using other than unit-sized vector lead to strange
looking surfaces...

--
Tim Nikias
Email: Tim### [at] gmxde