POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Is it possible to move a torus? Server Time
5 Aug 2024 18:22:01 EDT (-0400)
  Is it possible to move a torus? (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: Vash
Subject: Is it possible to move a torus?
Date: 1 Aug 2002 22:17:51
Message: <3d49ebcf$1@news.povray.org>
I want to specify the coordinates for a torus other than the origin.  Is
this possible, and if so, how can I do it?

Post a reply to this message

From: hughes b
Subject: Re: Is it possible to move a torus?
Date: 1 Aug 2002 23:13:54
Message: <3d49f8f2@news.povray.org>
"Vash" <gra### [at] telusplanetnet> wrote in message
> I want to specify the coordinates for a torus other than the origin.  Is
> this possible, and if so, how can I do it?

Wow, that sure is a povray.newusers group question if I ever saw one!
I'm just teasing. I'm going to answer like I'm talking to a child, if I can,
anyhow.
 :-)

Since the torus wants to begin at the origin, <0,0,0>, you need to add a
'translate' vector or axis. Only a size is given to begin with, but not a
location vector as is with sphere and many other primitives.

Order of things put in are typically done like:

torus {
    WheelSize, // main width in units
    TireSize // secondary width in units
scale <1,1,1> // initial resize and/or reshape
 rotate <360,360,360> // initial turning
  translate <1,2,3> // intial position
}
// (numbers can be whatever you want).

In this way you can resize then spin it around and finally place it. Of
course, other orders of the "transformations" (scale, rotate, translate) are
possible but this is how to manipulate the torus in the basic way.

Post a reply to this message

 "Vash" <gra### [at] telusplanetnet> wrote:

> I want to specify the coordinates for a torus other than the origin.  Is
> this possible, and if so, how can I do it?

Look up the "translate" transform:

torus {1, 0.2
    ...textures, etc...
    translate NEW_CENTER_POSITION