POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Spotlights and shadowless Server Time
6 Aug 2024 02:18:25 EDT (-0400)
  Spotlights and shadowless (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Paragon
Subject: Spotlights and shadowless
Date: 14 Jul 2002 02:02:37
Message: <3d3113fd@news.povray.org>
This might be a question with an obvious answer, but I'll ask it anyways.
Is there any way to have a spot light not cast shadows but still cast light
like...well...a spotlight?  If I use the shadowless keyword before the
spotlight keyword than it seems to have no effect.  But if I use the
shadowless keyword after the spotlight keyword (and modifiers), then the
light does not cast a shadow but becomes similar to a point light.  My guess
as why this is is because the darkness outside the cone of light of the
spotlight is considered the light's shadow so using the shadowless keyword
in effect makes it a point light.
The reason I ask this is I want a spotlight as a key light to cast a single
shadow for an object and I want another (dimmer) spotlight to be the fill
light for that object.  I need the fill light to not cast shadows but still
be spotlight (I don't want an omnidirectional light as a fill light).  And
since I do need a single shadow, I can't use the keyword no_shadow for my
object.

-Paragon

Post a reply to this message