POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Spotlights and shadowless : Re: Spotlights and shadowless Server Time
6 Aug 2024 00:17:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Spotlights and shadowless
From: Peter Popov
Date: 14 Jul 2002 16:08:37
Message: <h9m3ju0hi3nseq5j2urrt11ea9uh799ovj@4ax.com>
On Sat, 13 Jul 2002 23:02:52 -0700, "Paragon" <use### [at] hostcom> wrote:

>This might be a question with an obvious answer, but I'll ask it anyways.
>Is there any way to have a spot light not cast shadows but still cast light
>like...well...a spotlight?  If I use the shadowless keyword before the
>spotlight keyword than it seems to have no effect.  But if I use the
>shadowless keyword after the spotlight keyword (and modifiers), then the
>light does not cast a shadow but becomes similar to a point light.  My guess
>as why this is is because the darkness outside the cone of light of the
>spotlight is considered the light's shadow so using the shadowless keyword
>in effect makes it a point light.

A shadowless light is internally considered a fill-light. It is a
remnant from the very first time shadowless lights were introduced to
POV. There might still be some evidence lingering in the source code
supporting this thesis, I know there was back in 3.1.

A fill-light is, well, a fill-light. Therefore it's not a spotlight -
at least from the point of view of the person who designed the
feature. It's for that same reason that shadowless lights do not cause
highlights either.

Try using light groups to avoid the limitation. Don't quote me on this
but I think this was one of the reasons light groups were introduced.

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg