POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Scatter/partcle style macro help Server Time
6 Aug 2024 04:18:50 EDT (-0400)
  Scatter/partcle style macro help (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: James Taylor
Subject: Scatter/partcle style macro help
Date: 13 Jun 2002 18:58:45
Message: <3d0923a5@news.povray.org>
Hi all,

In my current WIP I'm trying to place some objects (spheres) onto another
set of objects and I'm not having much success. I've tried JRG's Scatter
macro, but can't get the results I want (but still a kick-ass macro). As far
as I understand the scatter macro searches for three points of contact,
which of course doesn't truly happen for a sphere (without intersection
anyway). So I was thinking that using one of the particle systems (hope I
got the name right - it's the ones with the bouncing balls) to position the
objects and just taking the final frame.

So which one's best (or at least easiest to use)?

thanks in advance
jim

Post a reply to this message

Not sure I understand what you are trying to do,
but it sounds like an ancient utility called SUDS
might do the trick.

http://freespace.virgin.net/r.jennings/suds.htm

HB

Date: 14 Jun 2002 02:16:29
Message: <312jgu09ciplov4348vptgplu5u3k58o0l@4ax.com>
On Thu, 13 Jun 2002 23:54:21 +0100, "James Taylor"
<jim### [at] blueyondercouk> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> In my current WIP I'm trying to place some objects (spheres) onto another
> set of objects and I'm not having much success.

Is your set of objects builded with simple primitives like torus, sphere,
cylinder, cone, plane etc ? Then you can use iso_csg library to create
equivalent of this set as function and sample this function for specified
distance. Tell me if you want an example. But since you want place only
spheres you can just use trace function and move intersection about
normal*radius. This simple method was used by me in
http://news.povray.org/kk1f1u0tvda2ul55rclt1or8opfkah6i5j%404ax.com

ABX

Post a reply to this message