POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Slow photons in RC5 Server Time
6 Aug 2024 12:22:07 EDT (-0400)
  Slow photons in RC5 (Message 1 to 10 of 16)
From: Mike Hough
Subject: Slow photons in RC5
Date: 21 May 2002 19:18:39
Message: <3cead5cf$1@news.povray.org>
I tried using photons in a scene recently and was suprised at how long it
took to render it in 3.5 RC5.  I'm posting in this group in case I'm missing
some subtle change in the photon syntax. The following scene at 320x240, AA
0.3 takes 19 seconds to render in MegaPOV 0.5 and 3 minutes 37 seconds to
render in RC5.

/* #version Unofficial MegaPOV 0.5; */
global_settings {
   photons {
     count 100000
     autostop 0
     }
 }

#declare WATERMAT =
material {

texture {
        pigment {color rgb <1, 1, 1> filter .9}
        finish {
        ambient 0
        }
        normal {bozo scale 1 bump_size 5}
}
interior

        ior 1.33
        }
}

disc {<0, 0, 0>, <0, 1, 0>, 5
material {WATERMAT}

photons{
  target
  refraction on
  collect off      /* 3.5 */
  /*ignore_photons*/ /* mega */
}
}

camera {location <5, 15, -25> look_at -2*y angle 27}

light_source {<0, 0, -100> color 1*<1, 1, 1>
rotate 55*x rotate -170*y
}

difference {
cylinder {<0, -2, 0>, <0, .6, 0>, 6.5
pigment {color rgb <1, 1, 1>}
}

union

cylinder {<0, -3, 0>, <0, 2, 0>, 5}
cylinder {<0, -3, 0>, <0, 2, 0>, 6 inverse}
pigment {color rgb <1, 1, 1>}
}
finish {ambient 0}
}