POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Slow photons in RC5 : Re: Slow photons in RC5 Server Time
6 Aug 2024 04:17:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Slow photons in RC5
From: Dave Dunn
Date: 26 May 2002 08:50:50
Message: <3CF0DA09.45CC12B5@aol.com>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:

> >POV-Ray 3.5 is *not* MegaPOV, in particular not such an old version of
> >MegaPOV.  You cannot just copy you scene one to one an expect it to work
> >exactly the same way.  There might be a million things wrong in your scene and
> >none has to do with POV-Ray 3.5.  Or you (accidentally) enabled any of a
> >number of other features in your scene that did not exists or were not enabled
> >by default in MegaPOV versions or POV-Ray 3.1.

I am trying to resist saying "Yeah, MegaPOV's photons are 20 times faster," or
some such other sarcastic remark, because I haven't done enough testing. And
indeed, if Mike's scene had been the only one causing this condition, using only
Megapov 0.5, I'd say you have a point there; however, the slowdown has been
confirmed using a file distributed in the scenes/advanced folder of RC 5
(optics.pov), using the final version of MegaPOV (0.7). It may be, as you say,
some "accidental" enabling of features. But it could also be a serious problem
with the speed of photon mapping in the current release. Dismissing experimental
evidence out of had without at least running a few tests is hardly scientific.