POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Slow photons in RC5 : Re: Slow photons in RC5 Server Time
6 Aug 2024 04:23:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Slow photons in RC5
From: bob h
Date: 26 May 2002 03:22:47
Message: <3cf08d47$1@news.povray.org>
"Tom Melly" <tom### [at] tomandlucouk> wrote in message

> Confirmed (2 minor changes to scene file for MP7).
>
> win95 p2 233 (iirc)
> optics.pov under 3.5 RC5 MSVC
> 30m30s
> optics.pov under MP7
> 5m46s

Yeah gee, that's a major slowdown. Admittedly, I was skeptical when Mike
first told of it but that decrease in rendering time is extremely obvious
and obviously not witnessed by one person.

Guessing (wild guess at that) perhaps one of the more recent 'automated'
parts Nathan had worked on caused this. Or could it be that it goes back to
an earlier time? I hadn't noticed any change in render time regarding
photons or photons + media; but last time I was running MegaPOV for any
reason on here was probably about 4 months ago, before a reformat and OS
reinstall. POV 3.1 and MegaPOV 0.7 are still on CD-R.

bob h