POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : highlight question Server Time
6 Aug 2024 10:19:36 EDT (-0400)
  highlight question (Message 5 to 14 of 14)
From: Christoph Hormann
Subject: Re: highlight question
Date: 10 May 2002 07:40:18
Message: <3CDBB1A1.CE9DDA79@gmx.de>
Rune wrote:

> [...]
>
> I'm pretty sure there isn't. You never see highlights on materials that
> reflects mirror-like, only on materials which have "blurred reflection".
> You also don't see highlights on surfaces that don't reflect at all.

This of course depends on how you define 'highlight', but you can surely
see a bright spot on a mirror ball when illuminated by a light source like
the sun.

The reason for using specular/phong models to simulate the highlight
effect is not only to avoid calculating blurred reflection but also
because you commonly use invisible light sources.

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,
Last updated 05 May. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______