POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Commercial Povray Server Time
6 Aug 2024 16:59:08 EDT (-0400)
  Commercial Povray (Message 24 to 33 of 33)
From: chaps
Subject: Re: Commercial Povray
Date: 21 Mar 2002 04:48:45
Message: <3c99ac7d$1@news.povray.org>
Let's consider some other topics:

    free software can only survive providing quality product to an existing
community of users. On the opposite software company can use their
commercial force to spread their products (who has ever  seen a PC
configuration including Pov in any shop) and create needs or envies at
customer level (even with blue screen).
    Pov is a ray tracer, and if it is not physically reallistic, it is
dedicated to people who prefer refined work rather than productivity. I've
played with 3DS max. and I did'nt like the menu appoach, the fake
effects...; but I have to say that I would use this tool (3DS) in a
profesional context (huge quantity of features, plugins, models..).
    Generally, companies fear to work with freeware. One of the reason is
that their main cost is not license fees, but the human workload. That's why
they often prefer to pay for software, from market leader, assuming that
they will find  a better (paying) support, a longer product life, more
skilled people... I do not totally agree with this, but it is the trend I
can see (in europe).
    Playing with a freeware make me feel to be part of a community of
people, sharing the same hobby. Using a software make me feel to be a
consumer: less positive.

Chaps.

> > Linux & associated apps are free, yet it has less than 1% of the desktop
> > market. Why?
>
> Apache Web server is free and has more than 50% of the web server
market...
> Given enough numbers, you can prove whatever your point is.
> It's just a matter of isolating the 'right' number!
>
> (right: good, according to the view to demonstrate.)
>
> Moreover, how do you collect number of the desktop market ?
> By cash flow ??? Then of course free desktop count less than expensive
one.
> And with the MS licence upgrade system, I currently would count as
> a 4 MS home system: DOS, W3.11, W95 and W98. Whereas I only kept W98
installed.
> Given that after W98, there was WME and now XP that the mass would have
> upgraded to, by how much should you adjust the numbers ?
>
> Side note: My system is a dual-boot with Linux, and main serious work
> is perform under Linux. I currently kept W98 only for DVD playing, mpeg
works
> and internet connection (I'm just too lazy to configure that on Linux).
> And I really prefer the free StarOffice 5.2 to the 'I cannot
afford-bureautic' of MS.

Post a reply to this message