POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Commercial Povray : Re: Commercial Povray Server Time
6 Aug 2024 19:25:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Commercial Povray
From: Florian Pesth
Date: 22 Mar 2002 07:02:27
Message: <3c9b1d53@news.povray.org>
> Followups to povray.off-topic
Last Mail about this topic...
> KOffice has 4 (four) developers, it will take them donkeys years to match
> office 97, and what do you think MS will be doing with its small army of
> developers in the mean time.
Hmmm... maybe you are right.
> The fact that there are K & Gnome (etc etc) attempts at the office suit
doom
> all to failure, everybody is busy competing instead of collaborating.
This doesn't have to be a bad thing. It can also improve quality. I think
without Gnome, KDE wouldn't be at this stage. But you are right in saiing
that there are not enough programmers.
> Companies do more on their desktops than work in MS office, a powerful
> office suit is only one step to the goal of (whatever alternative OS your
on
goal of what?
> about) on the desktop. and chances are it will be to many, featuring to
> little, delivered far to late.
Many small companies use Office especially Word only for really simple
textwork. This could be done easy with Word 6.0, so I don't think this stage
isn't achievable. But MS Office 97 formats should be supported, so that the
companies can test this alternative parallel to MS Office.
But let's leave it at that. It would be really great if there would be such
an alternative, but maybe I'm just dreaming ;). (I should join some open
source project)
Best regards,
Florian