POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Commercial Povray : Re: Commercial Povray Server Time
6 Aug 2024 19:25:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Commercial Povray
From: Rick [Kitty5]
Date: 22 Mar 2002 05:05:33
Message: <3c9b01ed@news.povray.org>
Followups to povray.off-topic

> > Linux & associated apps are free, yet it has less than 1% of the desktop
> > market. Why?

> until now... Wait for koffice (still in an early stage, I know) or the
gnome
> equivalents. When such applications become an alternative to MS Office
(and
> when they are able to handle MS documents like there own) there should be
no
> reason for most companys not to use OS software. And they will, because
> support for OS software is much better, there is faster reaction on
problems
> and new standards can be established without the limitations beeing forced
> to one company. Just wait and see, how OS will develope...

Not a hope.

KOffice has 4 (four) developers, it will take them donkeys years to match
office 97, and what do you think MS will be doing with its small army of
developers in the mean time.

The fact that there are K & Gnome (etc etc) attempts at the office suit doom
all to failure, everybody is busy competing instead of collaborating.

Companies do more on their desktops than work in MS office, a powerful
office suit is only one step to the goal of (whatever alternative OS your on
about) on the desktop. and chances are it will be to many, featuring to
little, delivered far to late.

--
Rick

Kitty5 WebDesign - http://Kitty5.com
POV-Ray News & Resources - http://Povray.co.uk
TEL : +44 (01270) 501101 - FAX : +44 (01270) 251105 - ICQ : 15776037

PGP Public Key