POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Tiling onto a sphere? Server Time
6 Aug 2024 17:02:16 EDT (-0400)
  Tiling onto a sphere? (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Michael Smith
Subject: Tiling onto a sphere?
Date: 27 Feb 2002 18:39:40
Message: <3c7d6e3c$1@news.povray.org>
Please excuse me if I'm not using the word 'tiles' in the context it
is used in POV-Ray. I couldn't think of a better phrase to put in
the subject line...

I need to know if it is possible to specify where on a sphere you
want an image to go without it completely filling the surface of
the sphere (by tiling or being stretched over the entire suface).

Maybe it would be clearer if I give an example. Suppose you
have a satellite image of Washington D.C., a satellite image of
the surrounding states, and a satellite image of the entire Earth
and you want to create an animation that zooms in from space
onto the D.C. image, utilizing all three images as resolution
demands.

comprising the entire surface of the Earth. The total dimensions
of all the tiles combined into a single image is way beyond what
my paint program can handle (please don't say get Photo Shop -
I know, I know). :-)

Can POV-Ray put those tiles into their respective positions on a
sphere according to user-defined inputs?

(That second example is what I may be dealing with.)

Regards,

Mike

Post a reply to this message

>Please excuse me if I'm not using the word 'tiles' in the context it
>is used in POV-Ray. I couldn't think of a better phrase to put in
>the subject line...
>
>I need to know if it is possible to specify where on a sphere you
>want an image to go without it completely filling the surface of
>the sphere (by tiling or being stretched over the entire suface).
>
>Maybe it would be clearer if I give an example. Suppose you
>have a satellite image of Washington D.C., a satellite image of
>the surrounding states, and a satellite image of the entire Earth
>and you want to create an animation that zooms in from space
>onto the D.C. image, utilizing all three images as resolution
>demands.
>

>comprising the entire surface of the Earth. The total dimensions
>of all the tiles combined into a single image is way beyond what
>my paint program can handle (please don't say get Photo Shop -
>I know, I know). :-)
>
>Can POV-Ray put those tiles into their respective positions on a
>sphere according to user-defined inputs?
>
>(That second example is what I may be dealing with.)

Here's a rather un-POVlike way of doing it:-

Instead of a true sphere, create a spherical mesh2 with a texture_list

listed tile is associated with each face of the mesh.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure

Post a reply to this message

> Maybe it would be clearer if I give an example. Suppose you
> have a satellite image of Washington D.C., a satellite image of
> the surrounding states, and a satellite image of the entire Earth
> and you want to create an animation that zooms in from space
> onto the D.C. image, utilizing all three images as resolution
> demands.
>

> comprising the entire surface of the Earth. The total dimensions
> of all the tiles combined into a single image is way beyond what
> my paint program can handle (please don't say get Photo Shop -
> I know, I know). :-)
>
> Can POV-Ray put those tiles into their respective positions on a
> sphere according to user-defined inputs?

Arbitrary map projections should be possible in Povray 3.5 using functions
as long as you know about the math of the projection.  Note that not all
kinds of projection used in geography can be described through a precise
formula though.

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,

> Please excuse me if I'm not using the word 'tiles' in the context it
> is used in POV-Ray. I couldn't think of a better phrase to put in
> the subject line...
>
> I need to know if it is possible to specify where on a sphere you
> want an image to go without it completely filling the surface of
> the sphere (by tiling or being stretched over the entire suface).
>
> Maybe it would be clearer if I give an example. Suppose you
> have a satellite image of Washington D.C., a satellite image of
> the surrounding states, and a satellite image of the entire Earth
> and you want to create an animation that zooms in from space
> onto the D.C. image, utilizing all three images as resolution
> demands.
>

> comprising the entire surface of the Earth. The total dimensions
> of all the tiles combined into a single image is way beyond what
> my paint program can handle (please don't say get Photo Shop -
> I know, I know). :-)
>
> Can POV-Ray put those tiles into their respective positions on a
> sphere according to user-defined inputs?
>
> (That second example is what I may be dealing with.)
>
> Regards,
>
> Mike

Using 3.1, no. Man, now I have to go try to get this to work and stop my
housecleaning and database programming. (shucky darn ; ) )

I'll let you know what I find. It might even make a cyclopedia entry

Josh English
eng### [at] spiritonecom
http://www.spiritone.com/~english

Post a reply to this message