POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Tiling onto a sphere? : Tiling onto a sphere? Server Time
6 Aug 2024 14:23:03 EDT (-0400)
  Tiling onto a sphere?
From: Michael Smith
Date: 27 Feb 2002 18:39:40
Message: <3c7d6e3c$1@news.povray.org>
Please excuse me if I'm not using the word 'tiles' in the context it
is used in POV-Ray. I couldn't think of a better phrase to put in
the subject line...

I need to know if it is possible to specify where on a sphere you
want an image to go without it completely filling the surface of
the sphere (by tiling or being stretched over the entire suface).

Maybe it would be clearer if I give an example. Suppose you
have a satellite image of Washington D.C., a satellite image of
the surrounding states, and a satellite image of the entire Earth
and you want to create an animation that zooms in from space
onto the D.C. image, utilizing all three images as resolution
demands.

comprising the entire surface of the Earth. The total dimensions
of all the tiles combined into a single image is way beyond what
my paint program can handle (please don't say get Photo Shop -
I know, I know). :-)

Can POV-Ray put those tiles into their respective positions on a
sphere according to user-defined inputs?

(That second example is what I may be dealing with.)

Regards,

Mike