POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: Licensing, Was: Re: CSDL Update Server Time
7 Aug 2024 01:26:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Licensing, Was: Re: CSDL Update (Message 16 to 25 of 25)
From: Ole Laursen
Subject: Re: Licensing
Date: 27 Jan 2002 16:51:57
Message: <87lmejo5xq.fsf@bach.composers>
"Thorsten Froehlich" <tho### [at] trfde> writes:
> Sure, RMS has turned the FSF into a religious organization fighting
> everything that doesn't follow his pure belief!  And of course, he is the
> only true god in this religion.

It is true that FSF is a very political organization (and you're wrong
saying that RMS has turned it into that - it has always been that way,
after all, Stallman founded it!). But implying that he runs the show
like a dictator is something you really don't know about. I believe in
the free software model, but I don't worship Richard Stallman as a god
(Emacs is the only True god, remember?).

It's obvious that you don't like Stallman, but please don't let it
influence your attitude towards the free software model and GNU.
That's just silly. I don't hate you, and there's no reason you should
hate me because I find free software and the GPL attractive, is there?

> His recent rants include those against PHP4 as you find it on the license
> page cited in this thread (because PHPs new license allows its developers to
> sell plug-ins for it so they can make a bit of money).

I don't know anything about that case, but if you think you can get
RMS to agree to a license which would prevent the software from being
free, you're out of your mind. :-)

Besides, you're implying that RMS wants to prohibit people from
earning money - but that's wrong as long as the software stays free.

> Many of his other statements over the years are legally questionable
> and close to libel.

Which ones, may I ask? I think you'll find it difficult to find any.
Voicing your opinion about licensing issues aren't illegal, you know.
And I think your statement above is actually much closer to libel. :-)

> He has publicly damaged the POV-Team - anybody remembering the
> incident on some Linux show a few years go, which was reported
> somewhere in these groups?

I remember it (i.e. the report of it), and I agree it was silly. But he
still has the right to voice his opinion - after all the POV-Team
isn't sacred. I just wish he had sent a polite email instead. But I
hope it isn't going to affect the license decision if the license is
going to change for Povray 4. Punishing everyone because of one man's
silly deed is equally silly IMHO.

> So yes, I am sure he is a trustworthy person!

Richard Stallman is going to defend your rights to his death if you
choose the GNU GPL for your software. Do you question that?

But this thread is going OT. It was supposed to give advice on
licensing, not discussing RMS's merits.

--
Ole Laursen
http://sunsite.dk/olau/