POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: Licensing, Was: Re: CSDL Update : Re: Licensing Server Time
7 Aug 2024 03:15:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Licensing
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 28 Jan 2002 12:13:13
Message: <chrishuff-D7CA2E.12151928012002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3c54f538@news.povray.org>,
 "Ben Chambers" <bdc### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

> Why would it change?  It's clear and effective.  If it ain't broke, don't
> fix it!

It's also a bit more restrictive than it needs to be. The POV-Team has
been considering a more flexible one for quite some time now:
http://www.povray.org/3.5-status.html

I've gotten the impression that the existing license is as restrictive
as it is mainly because of the way some of the contributions to the
source code have been made. People only gave permission for their code
(which might also have been used in some commercial product) to be used
in POV-Ray, so releasing it under an Open Source license is impossible,
another reason for the 4.0 rewrite. However, this is just my personal
recollection, not an official statement...