POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : idea: util for "sharing" CPU power Server Time
7 Aug 2024 07:14:55 EDT (-0400)
  idea: util for "sharing" CPU power (Message 7 to 16 of 26)
<<< Previous 6 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Gergely Vandor
Subject: Re: idea: util for "sharing" CPU power
Date: 21 Dec 2001 09:14:16
Message: <3c2343b8@news.povray.org>

news:8hb62uki8ocuv3f2o0enleajon7ukgkvh5@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 21 Dec 2001 13:28:22 +0100, "Gergely Vandor"
<ger### [at] vandordatanethu>
> wrote:
> > Is there a program which does just this? Would it be possible for me to
> > start a render on your machine (and possibly several others) right now
for
> > example?
>
> check render farms at http://www.povray.org/cgi-bin/htsearch?words=farm
> and http://www.imp.org

As much as I understand, none of these do what I would like to.

IMP seems interesting, but it seems it is focused on the purpose of creating
this movie, and the actual thing is not downloadable yet.

It  would be especially great if several computers could work on a single
image simultaneously (and not in a private network, but on the internet).
This would be beneficial with extremely compute-intensive images. And I'd
like to have the simplicity of Napster for example. Like pressing GO, and
getting the render done much quicker than you could on your own machine.

Cheers,

Gergely

Post a reply to this message

Gergely Vandor <ger### [at] vandordatanethu> wrote:
: It should be pretty easy to scan a pov text file for dangerous I/O commands.

  Except that it is probably possible to obfuscate commands so that a program
will not recognize them.