POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Rendering font symbols Server Time
7 Aug 2024 05:17:16 EDT (-0400)
  Rendering font symbols (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: sshelby
Subject: Rendering font symbols
Date: 24 Nov 2001 09:21:12
Message: <3bffacd8$1@news.povray.org>
Hello,
I use Moray to create my scenes, and render with Povray. I found a really
cool font called Bach30.ttf that allows you to create any musical notes or
symbols using the alt key and various 4-digit codes on the numeric keypad. I
tried it out and it showed the notes correctly in all four Moray views, but
when I render it, Povray renders different symbols than the ones showing in
Moray. I tried it in Megapov, and it wouldn't render it at all. I got the
new Pov 3.5 beta and used it, but the results were the same. Is there a
solution to this problem?  Any comments on this would be appreciated.
If anyone would like to get the Bach30.ttf font to try yourself, let me
know. I can make it available on one of the binaries newsgroups.
Thank you,
Steve Shelby

Post a reply to this message

Check into the docs about the charset keyword, section 6.11.6, maybe a
setting will help.  It goes into global_settings {}

--
text{ttf"arial","bob h",.1,0pigment{rgb 9}translate<-1,-.2,3>}

"sshelby" <ssh### [at] rexnetnet> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I use Moray to create my scenes, and render with Povray. I found a really
> cool font called Bach30.ttf that allows you to create any musical notes or
> symbols using the alt key and various 4-digit codes on the numeric keypad.
> tried it out and it showed the notes correctly in all four Moray views,
but
> when I render it, Povray renders different symbols than the ones showing
in
> Moray. I tried it in Megapov, and it wouldn't render it at all. I got the
> new Pov 3.5 beta and used it, but the results were the same. Is there a
> solution to this problem?  Any comments on this would be appreciated.
> If anyone would like to get the Bach30.ttf font to try yourself, let me
> know. I can make it available on one of the binaries newsgroups.
> Thank you,
> Steve Shelby

Post a reply to this message

> I use Moray to create my scenes, and render with Povray. I found a really
> cool font called Bach30.ttf that allows you to create any musical notes or
> symbols using the alt key and various 4-digit codes on the numeric keypad. I
> tried it out and it showed the notes correctly in all four Moray views, but
> when I render it, Povray renders different symbols than the ones showing in
> Moray. I tried it in Megapov, and it wouldn't render it at all. I got the
> new Pov 3.5 beta and used it, but the results were the same. Is there a
> solution to this problem?  Any comments on this would be appreciated.
> If anyone would like to get the Bach30.ttf font to try yourself, let me
> know. I can make it available on one of the binaries newsgroups.

Steve,

Try the musical font from my website. It does not require you to use the
alt-keypad to access the symbols and it has been tested to be compatible
with any version of POV-Ray. You will have to figure out wich keys go with
which symbols on your own however.

Ken Tyler

Post a reply to this message

Just checked on that Bach30.ttf and I could get the symbols to show up by
using charset utf8 in global_settings.  Alt 0165 was a clef.  But yeah, it
still doesn't type out that way (believe it was Yen symbol) in the script,
only renders as such.

Can't remember how the one Ken shows up in script, must be similar yet not
need the utf8.

--

> sshelby wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> > I use Moray to create my scenes, and render with Povray. I found a
really
> > cool font called Bach30.ttf that allows you to create any musical notes
or
> > symbols using the alt key and various 4-digit codes on the numeric
keypad. I
> > tried it out and it showed the notes correctly in all four Moray views,
but
> > when I render it, Povray renders different symbols than the ones showing
in
> > Moray. I tried it in Megapov, and it wouldn't render it at all. I got
the
> > new Pov 3.5 beta and used it, but the results were the same. Is there a
> > solution to this problem?  Any comments on this would be appreciated.
> > If anyone would like to get the Bach30.ttf font to try yourself, let me
> > know. I can make it available on one of the binaries newsgroups.
>
> Steve,
>
> Try the musical font from my website. It does not require you to use the
> alt-keypad to access the symbols and it has been tested to be compatible
> with any version of POV-Ray. You will have to figure out wich keys go with
> which symbols on your own however.
>
> http://home.pacbell.net/tylereng/index.html
>
> --
> Ken Tyler

Post a reply to this message

I downloaded the font you suggested, and it is a very nice font, but it
doesn't do what I want, which is to make "beamed" notes, that is, two or
more notes connected with one or more "beams".
Steve

Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote in message

> sshelby wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> > I use Moray to create my scenes, and render with Povray. I found a
really
> > cool font called Bach30.ttf that allows you to create any musical notes
or
> > symbols using the alt key and various 4-digit codes on the numeric
keypad. I
> > tried it out and it showed the notes correctly in all four Moray views,
but
> > when I render it, Povray renders different symbols than the ones showing
in
> > Moray. I tried it in Megapov, and it wouldn't render it at all. I got
the
> > new Pov 3.5 beta and used it, but the results were the same. Is there a
> > solution to this problem?  Any comments on this would be appreciated.
> > If anyone would like to get the Bach30.ttf font to try yourself, let me
> > know. I can make it available on one of the binaries newsgroups.
>
> Steve,
>
> Try the musical font from my website. It does not require you to use the
> alt-keypad to access the symbols and it has been tested to be compatible
> with any version of POV-Ray. You will have to figure out wich keys go with
> which symbols on your own however.
>
> http://home.pacbell.net/tylereng/index.html
>
> --
> Ken Tyler

Post a reply to this message

As I work in Moray and it automatically uses Povray for rendering, I don't
know anything about manipulating things in Povray. Could you show me what
the path is to "global_settings" and exactly what I would have to write
there?
Thanks,
Steve Shelby

bob h <omn### [at] charternet> wrote in message
> Just checked on that Bach30.ttf and I could get the symbols to show up by
> using charset utf8 in global_settings.  Alt 0165 was a clef.  But yeah, it
> still doesn't type out that way (believe it was Yen symbol) in the script,
> only renders as such.
>
> Can't remember how the one Ken shows up in script, must be similar yet not
> need the utf8.
>
> --
> text{ttf"arial","bob h",.1,0pigment{rgb 9}translate<-1,-.2,3>}
>
> "Ken" <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote in message
> >

> > sshelby wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello,
> > > I use Moray to create my scenes, and render with Povray. I found a
> really
> > > cool font called Bach30.ttf that allows you to create any musical
notes
> or
> > > symbols using the alt key and various 4-digit codes on the numeric
> keypad. I
> > > tried it out and it showed the notes correctly in all four Moray
views,
> but
> > > when I render it, Povray renders different symbols than the ones
showing
> in
> > > Moray. I tried it in Megapov, and it wouldn't render it at all. I got
> the
> > > new Pov 3.5 beta and used it, but the results were the same. Is there
> > > solution to this problem?  Any comments on this would be appreciated.
> > > If anyone would like to get the Bach30.ttf font to try yourself, let
me
> > > know. I can make it available on one of the binaries newsgroups.
> >
> > Steve,
> >
> > Try the musical font from my website. It does not require you to use the
> > alt-keypad to access the symbols and it has been tested to be compatible
> > with any version of POV-Ray. You will have to figure out wich keys go
with
> > which symbols on your own however.
> >
> > http://home.pacbell.net/tylereng/index.html
> >
> > --
> > Ken Tyler

Post a reply to this message

Best goes ahead of everything else but should effect the entire scene from
anywhere.

--

> Bob,
> As I work in Moray and it automatically uses Povray for rendering, I don't
> know anything about manipulating things in Povray. Could you show me what
> the path is to "global_settings" and exactly what I would have to write
> there?
> Thanks,
> Steve Shelby
>
> bob h <omn### [at] charternet> wrote in message
> > Just checked on that Bach30.ttf and I could get the symbols to show up
by
> > using charset utf8 in global_settings.  Alt 0165 was a clef.  But yeah,
it
> > still doesn't type out that way (believe it was Yen symbol) in the
script,
> > only renders as such.
> >
> > Can't remember how the one Ken shows up in script, must be similar yet
not
> > need the utf8.
> >
> > --
> > text{ttf"arial","bob h",.1,0pigment{rgb 9}translate<-1,-.2,3>}
> >
> > "Ken" <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote in message

> > really
> notes
> > or
> > keypad. I
> views,
> > but
> showing
> > in
> > the
> me
> > >
> > > Steve,
> > >
> > > Try the musical font from my website. It does not require you to use
the
> > > alt-keypad to access the symbols and it has been tested to be
compatible
> > > with any version of POV-Ray. You will have to figure out wich keys go
> with
> > > which symbols on your own however.
> > >
> > > http://home.pacbell.net/tylereng/index.html
> > >
> > > --
> > > Ken Tyler

Post a reply to this message

> Best goes ahead of everything else but should effect the entire scene from
> anywhere.

global_settings
{
    charset utf8