POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : SSSCA: Povray and watermarks. Server Time
7 Aug 2024 15:20:35 EDT (-0400)
  SSSCA: Povray and watermarks. (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: QQ
Subject: SSSCA: Povray and watermarks.
Date: 9 Sep 2001 02:28:02
Message: <Xns9117191906ECDCQ@204.213.191.226>
During its fall session, the U.S. Congress is scheduled to consider the
Security Systems Standards and Certification Act (SSSCA).  When passed, the
SSSCA will make the creation of software (or any other digital device)
without U.S.-government approved copy prevention technology a felony
offense punishable by five years in prison and a $500,000 fine.

In all likelyhood, the license fees and potential certification
requirements for 'approved' copy prevention techologies will kill zero-cost
software outright.  It is probably not an overstatement to say that the
SSSCA be the deathknell of non-corporate software development in the US.

As the SSSCA relates to Povray, the U.S.-based Pov developers just might
find themselves sharing a cell with Dmitry Sklyarov over the fact that
Povray won't reject watermarked images maps.

Read all the depressing details on the SSSCA at

---- ADVERTISMENT ----

Every time you buy a product from an BSA, MPAA or RIAA member corporation,
we'll donate one dollar to help speed the passage of the SSSCA.  Please
give generously as starving artists need your support.

Post a reply to this message