POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Music of the spheres... Server Time
7 Aug 2024 19:20:33 EDT (-0400)
  Music of the spheres... (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: David Nedrow
Subject: Music of the spheres...
Date: 20 Aug 2001 18:00:11
Message: <3B81886A.7030900@usa.net>
Here's what I'm trying to do:

I'm trying to add city lights to the Earth scene file originally created
by Constantine Thomas.

His scene file is pretty straightforward and uses several spheres to
combine satellite imagery into a very nice globe. I've found a satellite
view image of the nighttime earth that shows just the lights of cities
on a black background. I'd like to somehow lay this in on Constantine's
land sphere (which is above the ocean and below the clouds) but, and
here is the important part, make it appear as though the light points
are actually illuminated. This way, as the globe turns during an
animation, the city lights will actually be seen on the dark side of the
earth where they aren't occluded by the clouds.

Now the problem... I have no idea how to accomplish this. <G> Oh, it's
easy enough to add another sphere just on top of the landmasses, but I
can't figure out how to get them to appear "lit" when on the dark side.

I had thought about trying to extrude them through the first two spheres
and "hide" a light inside the inner sphere, but I'm afraid that would
look odd, as the lights facing the camera would be brighter than those
not directed at the camera and that they may not be visible at all at
extreme angles.

Is there a way to define a light that would only intersect the new
sphere with the night light bitmap? That was another approach I thought
of. Basically, use an area light (I know, there is no "fill" in space,
but we'll pretend the moon is "full") to illuminate just the night light
bitmap and also force the black areas to be transparent.

Any pointers would be appreciated. I've included Constantine's union to
show what he is constructing.

#declare Earth=

union {

//Sea Map (specular)

       sphere {0, 6378

         pigment {image_map {png "earth-seas.png" map_type 1 interpolate 2}}

         finish {ambient 0 diffuse 1 specular 0.5 roughness 0.01}}

//Land map (not specular, overlaid above Sea Map)

//-NOTE: transmit statement below must not be changed- ; this makes blue
areas (ie. the oceans) transparent!

       sphere {0, 6378.01

         pigment {image_map {png "earth-land.png" map_type 1 interpolate 2
transmit 2, 1.0}}

         finish {ambient 0 diffuse 1}

              }

//Cloud map (above Land and Sea)

       sphere{0, 6380

         pigment{image_map {png "earth-clouds.png" map_type 1 interpolate 2

         #declare n=0

         #while (n<Indexes)

         transmit n,1-pow(n/(Indexes-1),T)

         #declare n=n+1

         #end

                 }}

//Cloud Bump map (for terminator)

         normal {bump_map {png "cloud-bump.png" map_type 1 interpolate 2
bump_size 0.5}}

         finish {ambient 0 diffuse 1}

             }

//Atmospheric haze