POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Music of the spheres... : Re: Music of the spheres... Server Time
7 Aug 2024 17:22:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Music of the spheres...
From: Bob H
Date: 23 Aug 2001 20:49:14
Message: <3b85a48a@news.povray.org>
"David Nedrow" <dne### [at] usanet> wrote in message
news:3B8### [at] usanet...
> Well, trying what several people have suggested I'm very close. now my
problem
> is that the "lights" that aren't lit are blocking the image underneath the
> point. I'm posting a sample image in p.b.i. Look for "Earth Lights". If
you
> look at it, you'll see lights in the Pacific, Japan, and the east coast of
> Australia.
>
> However, if you look at India it's covered with black spots which is from
the
> texture I'm using for the light map.

This is a good example of why I went with a sublayer for the lights image
map.  With it under the land/ocean image map it doesn't get in the way.
So if you were to try it that way and just make the land image very slightly
transparent so as not to bother the map and make the lights image extremely
ambient it should do okay.
It's a matter of adjusting for the proper setup.  The black side of the
masking layer (inbetween layer) should still cover the overly bright lights
image when done right.

Bob H.