POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Isn't it time for a new pov benchmark? Server Time
8 Aug 2024 04:06:17 EDT (-0400)
  Isn't it time for a new pov benchmark? (Message 8 to 17 of 47)
<<< Previous 7 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Jérôme Grimbert
Subject: Re: Isn't it time for a new pov benchmark?
Date: 20 Aug 2001 09:32:27
Message: <3B8111FD.BA95FF6D@atosorigin.com>
Ken wrote:

> Warp wrote:
> >

> > : Then, you would have multiple metrics. IMNSHO, it's a bad thing, because
> > : everyone will wants soon it's own test scene.
> > : You should rather stick to a single scene, which should nevertheless
> > : be a complex-looking and lovely one.
> >
> >   I'm not sure if I understand what do you mean.
>
> There should be only one scene file. You are making it much too
> complicated.

Exactly, Ken :-)

The scene file should produce a beautiful image
          (so as to astonish the new users),
And it should be long enough to parse & render (I stick to my 2 hours on
 a 1.4GHz Athlon (*))
  (at least, it should start to teach patience** to the new users,
 hence, it must be a beautiful image which looks complicated)

*: remember, it's 2 hours for a huge size of at least 1600x1200 with AA.
*, also: when a dual-athlon with 2GHz each will be available
  (dual athlon is already, 2GHz probably in a few months/years), hoping
  a port of povray 3.5+ (4.0 ??) will be multiprocessor compatible
 (using the full power, with thread and so), the LONG 2Hr would be reduced
 to only 40 minutes,
and on a server with quad-mobo would only take 20 minutes...
Try using a beowolf cluster of 64 of unexpensive 1GHz (by that time),
and the theorical rendering drop to less than 3 minutes !
If you do the computation with a shorter scene, you will found yourself
with a precision problem sooner than you would have expected.

** I must confess, I started with DKBtrace 2.12 a long time ago
and it took more than one week to render ntreal on a poor CPU (without FPU).
(no harddisk either, all was on floppy !). It was a time when one had
better to thing the scene rather than trying multiple preview.
Mosaic preview was a great thing then!

Post a reply to this message