POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Isn't it time for a new pov benchmark? : Re: Isn't it time for a new pov benchmark? Server Time
7 Aug 2024 23:22:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isn't it time for a new pov benchmark?
From: Adrien Beau
Date: 20 Aug 2001 11:26:59
Message: <3B812C47.68AF2CA@sycomore.fr>
Ken wrote:

> Adrien Beau wrote:
> >
> > Then they have a problem. They shouldn't use an OS that eats
> > the vast majority of the installed RAM. Either they use an OS
> > that eats less memory, or intall more memory.
>
> The vast majority of POV-Ray users are also Windows users. Windows
> notoriously uses quite a bit of the system memory resources. Good
> or bad this is a fact that must be considered.

I know that of course. There was some underground rant in my
answer. :-)

SDRAM is cheap nowadays, so owners of quite-recent computers
(less than two years old?) should be able to upgrade without
bothering for the money. In Paris, 128 MB RAM is around the
same price as an audio CD. I think the "standard" amount of
RAM "should" be 256 MB.

And anyway, I think 30 MB memory-usage is a good value.

--
Adrien Beau - adr### [at] freefr - http://adrien.beau.free.fr
 Mes propos n'engagent que moi et en aucun cas mes employeurs