POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POVRay Dreamcast port Server Time
8 Aug 2024 04:09:53 EDT (-0400)
  POVRay Dreamcast port (Message 1 to 10 of 14)
From: Rick [Kitty5]
Subject: POVRay Dreamcast port
Date: 7 Apr 2001 13:43:44
Message: <3acf51d0@news.povray.org>
Straight from the news item on povray.co.uk

'I was amazed! Those povray guys write really portable code. Unfortunately,
its not very fast :(. The Dreamcast uses an SH4 processor. The NetBSD dc
port is using an SH3 compiler. The SH4 is backwards compatible w/ the SH3,
so it works, but I would imagine the SH4 can do a lot more than the SH3. I
am pretty sure the SuperH SH4 processor in the DC is supposed to have some
fancy floating point stuff. Once we get a compiler for the SH4 we'll
probably get better results. Plus, gcc probably optimises code much better
for x86s, PowerPCs, etc, than the SH3.'

While we are awaiting the actual benchmark figures, I think it will be safe
to assume that its around the 3 hours mark for the standard skyvase.pov at
640x480.

--
Rick

Kitty5 WebDesign - http://Kitty5.com
Hi-Impact database driven web site design & e-commerce
TEL : +44 (01625) 266358 - FAX : +44 (01625) 611913 - ICQ : 15776037
POV-Ray News & Resources - http://Povray.co.uk

PGP Public Key

> While we are awaiting the actual benchmark figures, I think it will be safe
> to assume that its around the 3 hours mark for the standard skyvase.pov at
> 640x480.

3 HOURS !?!  My old XT could do it in 3 hours!

--
Ken Tyler

Post a reply to this message

> > While we are awaiting the actual benchmark figures, I think it will be safe
> > to assume that its around the 3 hours mark for the standard skyvase.pov at
> > 640x480.
>
> 3 HOURS !?!  My old XT could do it in 3 hours!

Yep, but IIRC the SH4 is a RISC chip, and I've never seen POV running at
any great speed on a RISC chip (Caveat: My experience of POV on RISC
machines is limited to Acorn Archimedes systems  which compared *Very*
poorly, even to my old 486DX2/66, and so may not apply to the SH4)

Bye for now,
     Jamie.

Post a reply to this message