POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POVRay Dreamcast port : Re: POVRay Dreamcast port Server Time
8 Aug 2024 01:17:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVRay Dreamcast port
From: Chris Huff
Date: 7 Apr 2001 20:30:58
Message: <chrishuff-2A5D3E.19305907042001@news.povray.org>
In article <3acf994e$1@news.povray.org>, "Thorsten Froehlich"
<tho### [at] trfde> wrote:

> Maybe (I do not know about the SH) the FPU only supports
> single-precision floating point numbers in hardware?  If the compiler is
> then forced to generate code for it you would get such a slowdown...

    I looked for specifications on it, and couldn't find any in-depth
information, but I did see a reference to a 64-bit floating point
unit...I interpreted that as a unit that handles 64-bit floats, though
it could be a vector unit handling 2 32-bit floats, or something similar.
    If it does double-precision through software, that would slow it
down a lot...nothing to do with it being a RISC processor, though.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><