POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 3DNow or Later? Server Time
8 Aug 2024 10:22:23 EDT (-0400)
  3DNow or Later? (Message 1 to 10 of 13)
From: Michael Brown
Subject: 3DNow or Later?
Date: 26 Jan 2001 05:24:09
Message: <3a715049@news.povray.org>
Hi there,

Just wondering if Povray supports 3DNow (plain vanilla K6-2 and/or extended
Athlon), and if not if it plans to support it in the future.

Thanks
Michael

Post a reply to this message

From: Tom Melly
Subject: Re: 3DNow or Later?
Date: 26 Jan 2001 06:25:17
Message: <3a715e9d$1@news.povray.org>
"Michael Brown" <emb### [at] i4freeDELETETHISconz> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> Just wondering if Povray supports 3DNow (plain vanilla K6-2 and/or
extended
> Athlon), and if not if it plans to support it in the future.

Is 3DNow relevant to POV? I may have misunderstood, but I thought it just
increased the speed of 3d graphics and multi-media, and would therefore have
no effect on rendering. That said, 3DNow does, I believe, speed up floating
point calculations.

Question: If 3DNow speeds up float calcs, why is it only of benefit to
graphics and not all apps. using floating point calcs.?

Post a reply to this message

> Question: If 3DNow speeds up float calcs, why is it only of benefit to
> graphics and not all apps. using floating point calcs.?

As I understood it, 3DNow supports single precision floating point only.
But POV (and ray-tracing in general) needs double precision to get good
pictures (there is a thread in p.unofficial.patches about why this is
so). Therefore 3DNow is useless for POV.

- Micha

Post a reply to this message

> As I understood it, 3DNow supports single precision floating point only.
> But POV (and ray-tracing in general) needs double precision to get good
> pictures (there is a thread in p.unofficial.patches about why this is
> so). Therefore 3DNow is useless for POV.
>
> - Micha

Specifically the threads:

3D!Now & ISSE
double/single precision

BTW, wouldn't that be a good addition to the VFAQ?

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>

> Question: If 3DNow speeds up float calcs, why is it only of benefit to
> graphics and not all apps. using floating point calcs.?

WinAmp uses 3DNow to decode mp3s.

Kari Kivisalo                                  http://www.kivisalo.net

Post a reply to this message