POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Glossary of terms needed Server Time
8 Aug 2024 16:23:57 EDT (-0400)
  Glossary of terms needed (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: sshelby
Subject: Glossary of terms needed
Date: 2 Nov 2000 12:30:13
Message: <3a01a4a5@news.povray.org>
I'm trying to learn how to use pov-ray, but am having trouble because I have
no background in programming. I have been printing out the help files so I
can read them at my leasure, but the problem is that they assume that the
user has a certain amount of knowledge, which I don't. They use a lot of
terms that have specific meanings, but they don't give definitions for any
of them. What I need is a glossary of terms used in pov-ray programming, or
maybe programming in general. Can anyone tell me where I can find one?
Steve Shelby
ssh### [at] rexnetnet

Post a reply to this message

What kind of terms do you need help with? Don't be discouraged, what ever
you do. Any programing has a steep learning curve, but once you get anywhere
close to the top, you can have some great fun!
______
David McCabe
dav### [at] maccom
http://homepage.mac.com/davidmccabe/index.htm
Jesus loves you!

> From: "sshelby" <ssh### [at] rexnetnet>
> Newsgroups: povray.general
> Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 12:30:17 -0500
> Subject: Glossary of terms needed
>
> I'm trying to learn how to use pov-ray, but am having trouble because I have
> no background in programming. I have been printing out the help files so I
> can read them at my leasure, but the problem is that they assume that the
> user has a certain amount of knowledge, which I don't. They use a lot of
> terms that have specific meanings, but they don't give definitions for any
> of them. What I need is a glossary of terms used in pov-ray programming, or
> maybe programming in general. Can anyone tell me where I can find one?
> Steve Shelby
> ssh### [at] rexnetnet

Post a reply to this message

Start by rendering the examples and changing various numbers and see what
happens. Try and understand the structure of each bit. Start simple and
learn about each aspect of pov.

start by playing with some simple shapes - sphere box plane etc. and using
simple CSG - union differenc etc.

This should get you started.

Mick

"sshelby" <ssh### [at] rexnetnet> wrote in message
> I'm trying to learn how to use pov-ray, but am having trouble because I
have
> no background in programming. I have been printing out the help files so I
> can read them at my leasure, but the problem is that they assume that the
> user has a certain amount of knowledge, which I don't. They use a lot of
> terms that have specific meanings, but they don't give definitions for any
> of them. What I need is a glossary of terms used in pov-ray programming,
or
> maybe programming in general. Can anyone tell me where I can find one?
> Steve Shelby
> ssh### [at] rexnetnet

Post a reply to this message