POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Here's a laugh! Server Time
6 Aug 2024 19:33:39 EDT (-0400)
  Here's a laugh! (Message 11 to 13 of 13)
From: Ben Chambers
Subject: Re: Here's a laugh!
Date: 1 Mar 2002 22:09:14
Message: <3c80425a@news.povray.org>
"Hugo" <hua### [at] post3teledk> wrote in message
> > *tries to imagine playing a first-person shooter with a refresh
> > rate of 2 frames per season, fails, tries again...*
>
> 3d games look impressing but they are not "raytraced".. However it's
> possible that these 3d engines in time will develop into raytracers, and
> replace Povray and a lot of other stuff..  :o(
>
> Hugo

Doubtful.  The difference in speed is just too great.  Sure, you could
raytrace an image that looks incredible, or scanline render an image with
100x the number of moving objects on screen at 4x the resolution.  We'd have
to get to the point where raytracing could operate at 60fps with hundreds of
objects to make people give up scanline rendering.

...Chambers

---