POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Here's a laugh! : Re: Here's a laugh! Server Time
6 Aug 2024 21:41:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Here's a laugh!
From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 2 Mar 2002 08:30:44
Message: <chrishuff-A0F7F6.08304602032002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3c80425a@news.povray.org>,
 "Ben Chambers" <bdc### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

> Doubtful.  The difference in speed is just too great.  Sure, you could
> raytrace an image that looks incredible, or scanline render an image with
> 100x the number of moving objects on screen at 4x the resolution.  We'd have
> to get to the point where raytracing could operate at 60fps with hundreds of
> objects to make people give up scanline rendering.

I don't think it is unlikely for raytracing to be used in games
eventually. Remember, the whole frame doesn't have to be raytraced, they
can use it just for reflections and transparent objects. I wouldn't be
too surprised to see a checkbox for "True Ray-Traced Reflections"
instead of environment-mapped ones. (for big, flat reflections like
floors, even environment maps aren't necessary, but for complex objects
or curves...)

It won't be any time real soon though, there are too many other things
that need to be improved. Mainly physics and more detailed environments.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/