POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The good old "triscan" macro still breathes? Server Time
7 Aug 2024 01:23:42 EDT (-0400)
  The good old "triscan" macro still breathes? (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Hugo
Subject: The good old "triscan" macro still breathes?
Date: 11 Jan 2002 09:15:07
Message: <3c3ef36b@news.povray.org>
Hello,

I want to use the "triscan" macro found on the POV newsserver year 2000.. It
easily works in Pov3.5 and tesselates any object.. I know it has bugs but
never mind.. The demo files should work, right? Why do I get a big big mess?
I had to write a macro myself to view the mesh, maybe this is the problem.
"Triscan" outputs a RAW file. I need to load it into POV as a mesh. After
what I see, it's just all the vertices, suited for direct loading into a
mesh. What are your results with the macro?  I tried with MegaPOV too, to be
sure it wasn't caused by Pov3.5.

Hugo

Post a reply to this message

> I want to use the "triscan" macro found on the POV newsserver year 2000.. It
> easily works in Pov3.5 and tesselates any object.. I know it has bugs but
> never mind.. The demo files should work, right? Why do I get a big big mess?
> I had to write a macro myself to view the mesh, maybe this is the problem.
> "Triscan" outputs a RAW file. I need to load it into POV as a mesh. After
> what I see, it's just all the vertices, suited for direct loading into a
> mesh. What are your results with the macro?  I tried with MegaPOV too, to be
> sure it wasn't caused by Pov3.5.
>
> Hugo

Hugo:

Sorry, I just saw this. You probably got your answer long ago, but
I don't see any replies, so I'll add a comment. Triscan was
developed under MegaPOV as an experiment in tesselation of POV
primitives. It wasn't intended to turn POV primitives into POV
meshes as the primitives are already much better quality. The
routine only ever got "fair" results at best in conversion, so
it's primary intent was to allow limited translation of POV
objects for importation into other packages, like Moray UDOs,
Leveller reference shapes, OBJ props in Poser, etc. To do this,
you must take the RAW file and convert it using a program such
as 3DWin which reads in RAW files and turns them into any number
of other formats (including, if you really wanted for some reason,
POV triangles). The one exception is Leveller reference shapes
(see demo 4), which I made an output option only because I know
of no converter that included LSL files at the time of Triscan's
creation.

Charles Fusner
----
The Silver Tome ::  http://www.silvertome.com
0x06: I am NOT a RESOURCE. I am a free() mem!!
0x02: Aaaahahahahahahaha...

Post a reply to this message