POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The good old "triscan" macro still breathes? : Re: The good old "triscan" macro still breathes? Server Time
6 Aug 2024 23:25:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The good old "triscan" macro still breathes?
From: Hugo
Date: 28 Feb 2002 03:39:57
Message: <3c7decdd@news.povray.org>
> "Scanning" just didn't seem to work more than low
> to medium quality, although I had high hopes for
> it initially.

Well, maybe you'll be surprised to know that Jerome's patch also scans the
surfaces. He seems to have broken the barrier with angles of 90 degrees..
But his algoritm does not feature triangle-decimation (mesh reduction) at
least yet, so good replications needs a whole lot of triangles.

> It turned a simple sphere into this insane spiky
> creation from some strange alien universe

Just my experience! However I haven't mixed up the vertices and normals -
I'm pretty sure. Besides I tried all combinations, and I fixed some comma
problems in the raw file, that confuses the parser in Pov3.5.. But anyway
thanks for your efforts to triscan! Even though the macro may (soon) be
outdated when Jerome releases his patch (if he haven't done so... I'm not
sure) your macro has served as reference and inspiration.  :o)

Regards,
Hugo