POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : The good old "triscan" macro still breathes? : Re: The good old "triscan" macro still breathes? Server Time
6 Aug 2024 23:24:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The good old "triscan" macro still breathes?
From: Charles
Date: 27 Feb 2002 19:39:21
Message: <3C7D7DAE.8F71D1D8@enter.net>
Hugo wrote:
> Thanks for your reply! You're the only one who replied, and no, I never got
> an answer to my question. I had to leave Triscan. I still wonder how it's
> possible for the program to create a raw file that is *not* compatible with
> the Povray mesh syntax, as if the vertices are not stored in the cartesian
> 3d space! (I think it's called).

Hmm. Can't say without seeing what results, but perhaps some of the
normals got mixed in with the vertices. I don't know what kind of
results you got when you tried it, but that's the one really weird
thing I did by accident once while I was creating it. I had a good
laugh looking at the results, although they were useless, they were
definitely bizzare looking. It turned a simple sphere into this
insane spiky creation from some strange alien universe.

> I see that Jerome Grimbert is working on a tesselation patch coded in C,
> which means it'll be faster but not accessible in SDL as such. But the
> important thing will be to get an output of all vertices and faces. I hope
> it will soon be official part of Pov.

That's definitely good news. I'd be happy to see such a patch.
While I was experimenting, the conclusion I came to was that a
tesselation patch to POV itself was probably the only way to get
really decent quality meshes. "Scanning" just didn't seem to work
more than low to medium quality, although I had high hopes for
it initially.

Charles