POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Positioning orthographic camera - error ? Server Time
6 Aug 2024 16:59:08 EDT (-0400)
  Positioning orthographic camera - error ? (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Ralph Muench
Subject: Positioning orthographic camera - error ?
Date: 31 Jan 2002 04:03:45
Message: <3C590842.6AC3D10D@psi.ch>
Hello,

I am new to this group and browsing through the messages, I find that I
am pleased you are all here. I have been using POV-Ray for some time
now. There is a problem that I have with the orthographic camera which I
could not find mentioned anywhere else.

The problem is as follows.

This works:
camera { orthographic location <0,0,-10> right <4,0,0> up <0,3,0>  }

This does not work:
camera { orthographic location <10,0,0> right <0,0,4> up <0,3,0>  }

Both should be possible, but the latter gives an error:
"Cannot use non-perpendicular camera vectors with vista buffer".
I worked around it by rotating the scene, but that is not a satisfactory
solution.

The system I am using is:
-Povray 3.1 for Windows
-Windows NT

Is there a way to get the second version of the camera
positioning to work? I find that most directions
and positions that deviate from the first version give the same error
message
even when the vectors are perpendicular.

Finally, the solution that is offered in the help file to add the
command "look_at" is also not satisfactory because that can rotate
the camera around it's own axis resulting in to a completely
different setting than "right" and "up" were set.

Regards,
Ralph

Post a reply to this message

> camera { orthographic location <0,0,-10> right <4,0,0> up <0,3,0>  }
>
> This does not work:
> camera { orthographic location <10,0,0> right <0,0,4> up <0,3,0>  }
>
> Both should be possible, but the latter gives an error:
> "Cannot use non-perpendicular camera vectors with vista buffer".
> I worked around it by rotating the scene, but that is not a satisfactory
> solution.
>
> Is there a way to get the second version of the camera
> positioning to work? I find that most directions
> and positions that deviate from the first version give the same error
> message
> even when the vectors are perpendicular.

You don't mention "direction" at all, and this is very important. The
viewing direction has a default value of <0,0,1>, then the message must
mean that "right"  is not perpendicular to default "direction". Both "up"
and "right" need to be perpendicular to the viewing direction, I think.
So, perhaps you need also to specify "direction <-1,0,0>"  to override the
default viewing direction.

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres

La Persistencia de la Ignorancia