POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Positioning orthographic camera - error ? : Re: Positioning orthographic camera - error ? Server Time
6 Aug 2024 19:32:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Positioning orthographic camera - error ?
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 31 Jan 2002 04:24:30
Message: <3c590d4d@news.povray.org>
Hi Ralph :

> This works:
> camera { orthographic location <0,0,-10> right <4,0,0> up <0,3,0>  }
>
> This does not work:
> camera { orthographic location <10,0,0> right <0,0,4> up <0,3,0>  }
>
> Both should be possible, but the latter gives an error:
> "Cannot use non-perpendicular camera vectors with vista buffer".
> I worked around it by rotating the scene, but that is not a satisfactory
> solution.
>
> Is there a way to get the second version of the camera
> positioning to work? I find that most directions
> and positions that deviate from the first version give the same error
> message
> even when the vectors are perpendicular.

You don't mention "direction" at all, and this is very important. The
viewing direction has a default value of <0,0,1>, then the message must
mean that "right"  is not perpendicular to default "direction". Both "up"
and "right" need to be perpendicular to the viewing direction, I think.
So, perhaps you need also to specify "direction <-1,0,0>"  to override the
default viewing direction.

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres

La Persistencia de la Ignorancia