POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Mega-Pov or V3.5? Server Time
7 Aug 2024 15:19:48 EDT (-0400)
  Mega-Pov or V3.5? (Message 19 to 28 of 108)
From: Alan Kong
Subject: Re: Mega-Pov or V3.5?
Date: 29 Jan 2002 05:19:15
Message: <fftc5ukc6en2du60rfhoc0ohq99hsi2usd@4ax.com>
On Tue, 29 Jan 2002 04:25:26 +0100 Zeger Knaepen wrote:

>> Also, check out the additions to the standard includes...
>hmmm, I've never used standard includes... So I'm not really interested in the
additions
>:)

>> unicode support, etc.
>again: might be useful, but to me not reason enough to use 3.5

  How about if we paid you? ;)

--
Alan
ako### [at] povrayorg

Post a reply to this message

From: Hugo
Date: 29 Jan 2002 06:05:15
Message: <3c5681eb$1@news.povray.org>
> I really don't understand why POV-Ray 3.5 was made.  IMHO it's a waste of
time.  The
> POV-Team should have concentrated on starting with POV-Ray 4.0.
> I mean: POV 4.0 will be a complete rewrite, so everything they do now will
have to be
> redone.  What's the point?

Uh oh.. Such comments are not gladly seen by the Pov-team, and I hope you
understand why.. Pov3.5 is their baby.. Well, I think ... surely Pov3.5 is
not a waste of time, you see, it cleans up all the features in Megapov. The
coders do their best to clean Povray - both the source code and SDL - so
that future coders will be able to understand what's going on in Pov and
easily move forwards from that point, to make further improvements.

Pov3.5 takes the best of Megapov, remove the bugs, and makes it the official
version from which all future versions will be build.. I don't see why
Pov4.0 should be a complete rewrite.. Anyway, making Pov3.5 first, is the
logical way to go.. It's like to climp up the stairs, instead of trying to
jump to the top.

> Maybe I'm just tired.  I've been awake for 17 hours :)

Okay, then I would definetely be tired.. Hope you had some rest, when you
read this..  :o)  Peace..

Regards,
Hugo

Post a reply to this message