POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Mega-Pov or V3.5? : Re: Mega-Pov or V3.5? Server Time
7 Aug 2024 03:23:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mega-Pov or V3.5?
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 29 Jan 2002 07:26:46
Message: <3C569501.43312B8A@gmx.de>
Zeger Knaepen wrote:

> [...]
>
> I really don't understand why POV-Ray 3.5 was made.  IMHO it's a waste of time.  The
> POV-Team should have concentrated on starting with POV-Ray 4.0.
> I mean: POV 4.0 will be a complete rewrite, so everything they do now will have to
be
> redone.  What's the point?

If you just don't use the features that are new or strongly improved in
3.5 there is of course no point, but for most people this won't be a valid
argument.

Megapov, although being quite stable and containing various features that
are not in 3.5 has some serious flaws, especially in the
isosurface/function part like 'trace()' not working on isosurfaces and
much more limited functions.

I totally understand if people don't use the current betas because they
don't want to regularly download large packages, don't want to have
problems with the various bugs still present and don't want to start
learning a syntax still subject to changes, but just saying Povray 3.5 has
no worthy improvements does not seem a very qualified opinion to me.

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>